Nov. 5, 2014
CHARLOTTE, N.C. - No. 8-seed Marshall women's soccer (7-7-5, 4-3-3) completed its 2014 campaign with a 2-0 loss to regular-season champion and No. 1-seed North Texas (15-4-1, 8-1-1) in a Conference USA Tournament quarterfinal match on Wednesday evening at Transamerica Field.
On the Mean Green's first corner kick of the night, the team's scoring leader, Karla Pineda, stepped up to take the set piece and placed it inside the 6-yard box where Molly Grisham used her head to give North Texas a 1-0 lead in the 15th minute. Although the Herd put pressure on the Mean Green back line by controlling possession for the majority of the 30 remaining minutes, Marshall went to the locker room at the break down 1-0.
Almost the same scenario as the first goal extended North Texas' lead to 2-0 when Pineda placed a corner kick into the 6-yard box in the 61st minute. Jackie Moreau collected it and knocked it over to Grisham, who put it away for her second goal of the match. Pineda earned her second assist of the match on the set piece. Despite the Herd's many opportunities in the final 20 minutes to get on the scoreboard, Jackie Kerestine stayed solid in the North Texas net and denied Marshall's offense until time ran out. With the win, the Mean Green advanced to the Conference USA semifinals on Friday.
AGAINST THE MEAN GREEN
Marshall out-shot North Texas (20-11), with 13 strikes coming in the second half. The Herd also led in corner kicks (7-5). Lizzie Kish (Boyertown, Pa.) made four saves for Marshall while Kerestine turned in her 13th blank sheet of the year with nine saves.
THE LAST TIMEÃ¢â'¬Â¦
- The Herd lost by two or more goals: Aug. 22, 2014 - at No. 3 Virginia (L, 3-0)
- The Herd did not reach the scoreboard: Oct. 19, 2014 - vs. Middle Tennessee (L, 1-0)
With Wednesday being the first meeting between the teams, Marshall trails in the series, 0-1-0.
- Kelly Culicerto - 73 season shots ties for No. 3 at Marshall (Amanda McMahon, 2001)
- Kelly Culicerto - 141 career shots is No. 3 at Marshall, passing Erika Duncan (140, 2007-10)
- Lizzie Kish - 1,807 season goalkeeper minutes is No. 2 at Marshall (No. 1 - 1,878, Lizzie Kish, 2013)
- Lizzie Kish - 3,685 career goalkeeper minutes is No. 2 at Marshall (No. 1 - 6,234, Liz Orton, 2006-09)
- Lizzie Kish - 138 career saves is No. 4 at Marshall
LET'S GET SOCIAL ---HerdZone.com---
Keep up with the latest news about Herd soccer by liking the team's official Facebook page: Marshall University Soccer. For live in-match updates and news, follow @HerdWSoccer on Twitter. Want to see photos and behind-the-scenes action? Give @HerdZone a follow on Instagram.